Nauru Quick Travel Guide
With a travel rating of 20%, Nauru is a little island dot (21 sq km/8 sq mi in size) in the Pacific that valiantly clings to its paradise roots. As one of the three "phosphate" rock islands in the Pacific, Nauru was mined extensively for many years, leaving nearly 80% of the land barren. This central plateau, now called "Topside", is a terrain of jagged limestone pinnacles that brings to mind an alien landscape. But the 20% that remains - the coastal belt – is simply glorious. The island is surrounded by sandy beaches and coral reefs, where coconut palms sway beneath heavenly blue skies. Buada Lagoon supports a variety of tropical fruit farms and indigenous hardwood trees. Anibare Beach is a sun worshipper's paradise. And Command Ridge – the highest point on the island – contains the wreckage of WWII Japanese guns and a place of absolutely breathtaking views. Small, but tenacious, Nauru holds its own as a little slice of paradise in the South Pacific.
|Events & Festivals||Beaches |
|Classic Journeys||Cultural Sites|
PlanetHop! Travel Rating
Climb to the top of Nauru and visit Command Ridge, the highest point on the island at an altitude of 65 meters (213 ft). The Japanese occupation of Nauru only lasted four years, but reminders of their time here can be seen by th....
|Coordinates:||0 32 S, 166 55 E|
|Main Languages:||English, Nauruan|
|Currency:||Australian Dollar (AUD)|
Plan your visit!
Click on the photos below!
- Location: Nauru